Slimming down your face is a popular desire when excess fat begins to weigh down your features, especially your chin. These fatty deposits indeed give a negative, tired, slumped look. It can be a real injustice in the emotional or socio-professional life. Wanting to slim down the face then surpasses the only aesthetic side: it is the desire to obtain a dynamic expression in phase with one's personality, with a younger, thinner, more toned face. Aesthetic medicine has effective answers to reshape the face without surgery. A detailed facial check-up is essential beforehand, in order to select the right methods between the cold of cryolipolysis, hyperthermia of high-energy waves, or more rarely a Botox ® injection.
The causes: which parts are to be treated to slim down the face?
If the face becomes heavier with excess fat, it is often a combination of multiple factors such as hormones, lifestyle, age, heredity, etc. Slimming by addressing caloric intake or physical exercise is sometimes feasible, but slimming down the face is illusory.
Fat deposits are deposited mainly at two levels:
- On the cheeks, excess fat enlarges the cheeks, at the risk of making the cheekbones heavier and speeding up the sagging of the oval of the face. This fat can be eliminated by liposuction or by bichectomy.
- The double chin is also formed on the tip of the face, which makes the face heavier, modifies the oval of the face and blurs the separation between the neck and the face, making it unappealing. The removal of a double chin is done by cryolipolysis or liposuction.
To choose the ideal procedure, your aesthetic doctor will perform a medical and aesthetic evaluation of your face beforehand. He will verify that other factors do not weigh down your features, such as a jaw that is too square due to hypercontraction of the masseter muscles, whether or not correlated with bruxism. In this case, the answer is a botulinum toxin injection or a Botox® injection.
A slackening of the oval of the face can also make the face look heavier, but this is then an issue of facial volumetry with a displacement of volumes. Slimming the face is not a priority: the first thing to do is to regain the firmness and tone of the skin.
Indications: the main cases in which to slim down the face
Facial slimming with aesthetic medicine is possible for any patient whose face is weighed down by excess fat, whether or not the skin is slackened.
If fat volumes are displaced, additional treatment may be needed to restore the firmness and tone of the face.
- In the absence of skin sagging, your aesthetic doctor at the Clinique des Champs Elysées will remove a double chin, usually by cryolipolysis.
- Faced with a slight slackening of the skin, your practitioner will generally favor lipo-thermolysis or fat-temperature destruction. This hyperthermia will also reshape the dermis by thermage, resulting in skin retraction.
- Faced with significant slackening of the skin, surgery to slim the face and tighten the skin is often the only option, either by liposuction or by partial or complete facelift.
Fatty bags under the eyes are corrected by an eyelid lift, also known as lower blepharoplasty.
What are the solutions of aesthetic medicine to slim down the face?
Your practitioner chooses either cold or warm lysis.
Cold to slim the face successfully.
A single appointment of cryolipolysis permanently removes 25 to 30 per cent of the fat from the double chin in 30 to 45 minutes. Coolsculpting ® is an approved FDA and CE device with an applicator that perfectly follows the contours of the chin. A vacuum suction positions the handpiece on the fat tissue to be destroyed.
The heat to slim down your face effectively
Your practitioner can target the fat to be eliminated and the dermis to be reshaped, to thin your face and to firm your skin. Depending on the case, he may select different combined methods, such as HIFU (focused ultrasound), RF (radio frequency) or CEPM (electromagnetic waves). He can sometimes fix other imperfections such as wrinkles or lentigos at the same time, in order to regain a thinner, younger and more dynamic looking face.