EarFold® is a tiny implant that reshapes the cartilage of the ear to the form you want to give it. It's a minimally invasive procedure that is a good alternative to traditional otoplasty.
Indications of Prominent ears
EarFold® can fix prominent ears or enhance the appearance of asymmetric ears by rebalancing their size.
How the procedure works
EarFold® implants are positioned under local anaesthesia on an outpatient basis and will take just 20 minutes to complete.
Prefold® results can be previewed in advance
Prefold® is a virtually identical replica of the Earfold® implant. In this way, the patient can envision the final result of the procedure.
Prefold® makes it possible:
- To assess the number of Earfold® implants needed
- To test the placement of the clips on the ear
The patient is standing in front of a mirror. After disinfecting the ears, the surgeon gently moves the edge of the helix from the ear to the head, and then draws a few grooves to represent the top of the desired antihelix plication. He places a few small pieces of double-sided adhesive tape on selected areas and folds the ear to establish the desired anthelial plication. Then the Prefold® clips are positioned to reposition the ear correctly.
The surgeon will take pictures using Prefold® to ease the positioning during the ensuing implantation of Earfold®. The result obtained can vary slightly from the one that was predicted during the simulation with the Prefold® positioner.
- Remove all clips and piercings and don’t wear any earrings
- Style the hair so that the ears are as free as possible
Placing the implant
The EarFold® implant is made of nickel titanium alloy metal called nitinol. There are two advantages to this material:
- It is very elastic and the ear to be handled often returns to its original location.
- It keeps the predefined design setting indefinitely
The surgeon will make a small incision in the back of the ear and then place the EarFold® implant under the skin. When in place, the implants bind to the cartilage of the ear and reduce the salient appearance of the cartilage. One to two EarFold® implants are used in each ear to produce the desired result. At the completion of the operation, the doctor sews it with absorbable stitches.
EarFold® is a procedure that is minimally invasive. There's no bruising or swelling.At most, the patient will have some minor discomfort for a few days.
- After surgery, it is not needed to put on any bandages or wear a headband.
- There will be bruising and swelling around the incision for a week.
- Stop any sporting activity where the ears can be handled or any type of damage can be sustained for four weeks.
- Don't sleep on your side for four to five weeks to minimize the risk of ear trauma.
- Most patients are able to resume daily activities on the same or the next day
The results will be instantly visible. The ears have lost their protruding shape, and they look nice and flat.
Résultats avant après Earfold®
Earfold® has been designed to remain permanently in place however, if the patient so desires, may request the removal or replacement of the implants due to complications or insufficient aesthetic results.
Book your appointment for an Earfold® Implant Consultation
Consultation for new clients is required.